We are pleased to announce that we have turned our attention towards the creation of what we believe will be the most comprehensive QGIS training to date! The freely available QGIS is a powerful geographic information system (GIS) software for the analysis of geospatial data and the production of maps and design concepts. Second only to a consideration of Climate, applying the Geography layer lays the groundwork for proper land design, development and management. Toward this end, QGIS has been for many years a primary tool in our own workflows over hundreds of projects. In this program, we have taken our experience and distilled the most essential information and workflows one needs to understand to handle this program masterfully and become effective in its use.
- Scripted, pre-recorded, time-stamped and streamed. Information is presented in a concise and clear format. You can learn at your own leisure, from any device and place that has an active internet connection.
- Meticulously edited to remove any ‘ahh’, ‘hmm’, ‘uhh’ kind of noise and deliver content that is straightforward and to the point. Once you open a section, you are presented straight away with what you need to know and not a second is wasted in fruitless side-tracking of any kind. Callouts and other visual aids are used throughout to highlight any important information and eliminate the opportunity for ambiguity.
- Independent sections and modular content. This is not a traditional course or training where you get a fixed number of videos that you go through in a linear progression. This kind of training does not work very well for applications as complex as QGIS. Instead, we have developed a modular program with sections designed to serve as a reference, in a similar format to our Regrarians Handbook. This means that each section stands on its own. You do not need to watch the entire program to know how to, say, make contour maps expertly. You can just watch that section. You can also take sections and connect them together in a logical flow to create your own workflows. Naturally, this kind of format may create a fair amount of overlap between sections but, over years of teaching, we have learned that to be a good thing. Education is repetition. You can also watch the entire program in a linear progression, should you choose, as sections do also build upon each other in cross-reference to deliver a comprehensive and interconnected understanding of the program. In time, we’ll also be sorting the content in different ways, — e.g. by Section, by Workflow, by Index and by Topic. This will present you with different ways of looking at going through the content.
- Value appreciation. We are constantly and progressively expanding the content so the value of your purchase grows with time .
- Project files (downloadable) are included for most sessions so that you can follow along.
- Technical support within the Workplace for issues related to the content is included.
- Access content as it becomes available. New videos are released constantly and progressively as we expand the program over time. You can also give feedback and make requests for changes and additions. In this way, you can dictate the direction you’d like the program to go in.
- Lifetime access for purchases outside of a subscription.
- Free for life to our Planner subscribers! If you’d like to become a Planner member, please visit this page.
- Free access to our QGIS for Layout Design program! If you have access to this program, you get the other one for free!
- Regrarians Discovery Membership (120$ value). You’ll be invited automatically. Please allow for two business days after your purchase for the invite. The memberships come into effect at the moment of invitation. Just like with the access to the program, we’ll be happy to also invite any of your family/team/core organisation members to the Workplace as part of your subscription.
- Please note that we will not accept refunds since this is a digital product. Absolutely no refund claims will be honoured once access has been granted to the program. Therefore, we encourage you to consider your decision carefully. Please watch the samples below and read through this FAQ and consider if this program is suitable for you or not. If you need more information or samples, feel free to write to us as we will be happy to answer all of your questions.
- NoData Fill
- LiDAR to DEM
- Watershed Delineation
- Viewshed Analysis
- Assigning Projections
- Meters to Feet / Feet to Meters
The program is under continuous development, but the latest content can be viewed on this page.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I am a beginner. Is this program suitable for me?
This program is especially empowering to beginners in QGIS and GIS in general. Through a systematic, structured and concise delivery you will receive a solid foundation and the knowledge required to understand and use the program like a professional would. You will learn the tools and how to put them together into workflows to solve specific problems. Everything is covered in detail, – where to click, what to type, how to think, what to avoid, and more.
That being said, you must have a good general technical/computer proficiency. While this program caters to beginners in GIS, it does not necessarily cater well to those who are not well versed with computers and software work in general. The videos are fast-paced, there are lots of technical terms, many buttons to click, technicalities to think about and complexities to manage, and even some code to type. If you are struggling with these things and you feel overwhelmed by steep learning curves, then perhaps this program is not for you. Consider instead starting out with our more basic programs such as the one that covers Google Earth Pro.
How do I get access?
There are two options:
- (1) Buy the program from this page — This option grants you lifetime access to the program, including any updates. Technical support is limited to just the first 12 months after your purchase.
- (2) subscribe to Planner membership — This option will grant lifetime access to the program, including any updates. Technical support will be limited to the duration of your subscription, however. Once your subscription/membership runs out, you do not need to renew it to maintain access. The Planner membership also gives you access to all of our other programs and content as well as additional perks like mapping support. The minimum subscription duration is 12 months. Subscriptions cancelled prematurely will incur loss of access.
How long do I have to wait before I can watch the program?
We are releasing videos constantly and progressively expanding the program. You can watch them as they become available. Currently (as of November 2021), we have 120 videos released, or about 20 hours of content. We will be taking a break from making videos between November 2021 – February 2022 and then resume the production again. We expect to have at least some 150-220 videos by the end of 2022. We’ll keep expanding the content and improving its quality over time.
How will I receive the program? Do I need to sign up somewhere?
Once you have bought the program or become a Planner member, you will receive an invitation to the Workplace within 2 business days. You will be able to access the content from within the dedicated course group. Should you encounter any issues, contact us and we’ll help resolve them!
I don’t have QGIS, where should I get it from?
QGIS is completely free and available for Windows, iOS and Linux. You can download it from the official website.
What version of QGIS should I use?
The version we use may change as we record the program as new versions are released regularly. However, we will always be using the latest stable major release.
What operation system is the program based on?
We will be using Windows 10, but you can follow along regardless of what your OS is. There are very few instances in which using another OS may prevent you from following with the program. For example, you may need to follow a different procedure when installing, say, the LiDAR module on a Mac than you’d on Windows. Unfortunately, we cannot always assist in those cases but we’ll do the best we can to help you find a workflow.
When will the program be released?
This program does not have a specific start date (or and end date for that matter). We are progressively releasing videos that you can watch as they become available. How many and how often you watch them depends on you.
How long will this program be?
We don’t know yet exactly, but it is likely to be in the vicinity of 30+ hours by mid 2022. Currently (November 2021), we have about 20 hours released. Note that this length is after the videos have been edited.
How much time do I need to dedicate?
Strictly speaking, and since this program is pre-recorded, you can dedicate as much time as you can/wish to it. Our goal is to convey the information that, if assimilated, will provide you with a solid foundation for professional work in this field. We encourage you, however, to learn as much as you can in and out of the program on your own time. Most learning happens outside of a program – by scouring for information on forums, engaging with a community, committing to daily practice, trying new things, failing a million times over, etc. There is no true learning that is not self-learning. A program is there to provide guidance and structure to self-learning, not to replace it.
Is the content going to change?
Yes. First of all, we are constantly looking to make this program better. As such, if, in the process of recording it, it appears that the content has to be modified then we will do that. We will not, however, remove away from the content (unless any of it becomes outdated). We may move sections around or change their names or merge sections into one another so they better fit in the overall structure. We will definitely add new sections as we go along. During your subscription, you will have access to any of these updates and expansions and we will notify you about them.
Are subtitles going to be available?
Not at this time. The program is narrated in English with an international accent.
How can I access the videos?
There are two options:
- If you are a Planner Subscriber to the Regrarians Workplace. In this case, you receive the program for free as a part of your subscription. You do not need to buy this program! Should you discontinue your subscription (after the minium12 months), however, your access will also be terminated. The Planner membership also gives you access to all of our other programs and content as well as additional perks like mapping support.
- If you are not a Planner or Workplace member, then you can buy the program independently from a Planner membership and you’ll get access automatically once payment has cleared.
Can my team/project/family members have access to the program?
If you join as a Planner subscriber, you can invite your project/family members to the Workplace. They will have the same account permissions as your account. So, in effect, they will have lifetime access to all of our programs as well, including this one. If you buy the program separately from a Planner membership, only you will have access to it.
Are project files included?
Most sections will be accompanied by the project files that you need to follow along with if you choose.
Is the program downloadable?
The videos are not downloadable, but any project files will be downloadable. Project files will be delivered via Google Drive. This allows us to easily edit the program, should the need arise, and keep the program updated and expand it in the future. Videos and project files are automatically synced directly from our workstation to the cloud so that updates are made on the fly and delays and errors are avoided.
Is the program refundable?
We will not accept refunds since this is a digital product. Absolutely no refund claims will be honoured once access has been granted to the program. Therefore, we encourage you to consider your decision carefully. Please watch the samples and read through this FAQ and consider if this program is suitable for you or not. If you need more information or samples, feel free to write to us as we will be happy to answer all of your questions.
Is there technical support?
For the duration of your subscription, or for the first 12 months of your purchase, we offer technical support with issues that are related to the content. However, we cannot necessarily assist with personal/commercial projects since our time is very limited. Support is offered only via the dedicated course group in the Workplace.
I have other questions, how should I contact you?
If you are a Regrarians Workplace member, write to us directly in the Workplace via the chat. Otherwise, drop us an email!