In 2006, I started the process which culminated in what is now called the Regrarians Platform®. This platform covers the broad topics that Regrarians Ltd. addresses as part of its global strategy, training, consultancies, designs and publications. The genesis of the Regrarians Platform originated with the late Australian P.A. Yeomans and his ‘Keyline Scale of Permanence’, published in 1958 in “The Challenge of Landscape — The Development and Practice of Keyline“. The Regrarians Platform was created to determine the priority of different elements of landscape development, their respective permanence and the order in which we design and plan production landscapes and their associated enterprises.
Regrarians Ltd. broadened each layer beyond the physical, changed aspects to better reflect our emphasis and added two additional layers to the original Yeomans’ Scale: 9. Economy and 10. Energy.
The Regrarians Platform also includes insights from some international ecological designers and decision-making systems. These include the work of Allan Savory of the Savory Institute and the Holistic Management movement (especially Kirk Gadzia and the late Bruce Ward); David Holmgren, the late Bill Mollison and others in the Permaculture Design movement (especially the late Toby Hemenway); as well as John and Nancy Jack Todd, Sim Van der Ryn, Dr. Vandana Shiva, Art Ludwig, Joel Salatin, Jaime Elizondo Braun, Johann Zeitsman, Ethan Roland and Gregory Landua among many others.
All Regrarians Ltd. consultation and training follows the Regrarians Platform of:
- Climate – developing the ‘rules of engagement’ of the human ‘climate’ of those involved in a project, whilst generating an understanding of the activities the biospheric climate allows us to do. Key aspects of our analysis are: core ethics, ‘Holistic Context’ formation and decision-making.
- Geography – analysing aerial, topographic and other maps in order to bring a local and physical context to the enterprise.
- Water makes life possible, so we spend a lot of time when consulting and training in order to bring ‘water under control’ (Mollison, B 1995, pers. comm.); make it ‘do its duties’ (ibid.); and leave the property in better condition than when we arrived.
- Most people have trouble getting Access right, whether on the largest or smallest scale. We define these arteries of movement and their engineering with the assistance of our analysis of the Geography and Water layers.
- Forestry systems vary greatly—a myriad of natural and created forms. Nearly all economic landscapes are part of forest complexes and in the Regrarians Platform, forests and their placement are defined by layers 1–4.
- Buildings are often expensive pieces of infrastructure that require detailed planning and engineering. In the Regrarians Platform, the integrated placement of these structures is very much determined by the five layers before it on the permanence scale.
- The placement of Fencing as relatively fixed infrastructure is a hallmark of our domestication of many species, particularly livestock (and humans!). Traditional systems are expensive to build and apply. The advent of electric fencing revolutionised our ability to manage landscapes, allowing us to follow topographic patterns and natural animal behaviours.
- Soils are the foundation of life and therefore an important focus; we need to take care of the whole to support its foundation. Regrarians’ focus on determining the most cost-effective treatments to regenerate soil from the many that exist.
- Economy is driven by our analysis of the previous layers, particularly Climate and Geography. This analysis and our consequent planning focuses on driving the economic engine of the various capital flows (Roland, E & Landau, G 2008, pers. comm.) that, like soils, are fragile and form the basis of the regeneration of the whole .
- Energy is vital to fuelling all of the elements that drive any system. We therefore focus on organising energy systems that regenerate rather than atrophy — bearing in mind their cost-benefit in a rapidly evolving field.
The Regrarians Platform® Summarised
- CLIMATE – You, Enterprise, Risk, Weather.
- GEOGRAPHY – Landform, Components, Demography, Proximity.
- WATER – Storage, Harvesting, Reticulation.
- ACCESS – Roads, Tracks, Trails, Markets, Utilities, People.
- FORESTRY – Blocks, Shelter, Savannah, Orchards, Natural.
- BUILDINGS – Homes, Sheds, Portable, Yards.
- FENCING – Permanent, Electric, Cross, Living.
- SOILS – Planned Grazing, Minerals, Fertility, Crops.
- ECONOMY – Analysis, Strategy, Value Chain.
- ENERGY – Photosynthesis, Generation, Storage.
Keyline Scale of Permanence
The Regrarians Platform makes sure that everything is covered according to your context:
People are free to use and apply the Regrarians® trademark within educational trainings where describing their use of ‘Regrarians Platform®’. Where describing that they are using the Regrarians Platform® as part of their, educational trainings, business or planning processes we ask that the following acknowledgement be made and logo/icons be attached and shown:
‘Regrarians®, the Regrarians Platform® and the Regrarians® Logo are all trademarked brands and marks owned by Regrarians Ltd. founding director Darren J. Doherty – www.Regrarians.org’
If you need higher resolution versions then please let us know!